- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
N.J. Gov. Christie looks to slim down with secret stomach surgery
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie underwent lap band surgery in February in hopes of losing some weight for his family — fueling additional speculation that he is trying to slim down for a 2016 presidential bid.
The New York Post reported Tuesday that Mr. Christie said his friends and family helped convinced him to have the operation and that the Republican decided to have the procedure after turning 50 years old in September.
"I've struggled with this issue for 20 years," Mr. Christie told The Post. "For me, this is about turning 50 and looking at my children and wanting to be there for them."
Mr. Christie insisted that the survey was not tied to his political future, and The Post reported that "a source said he registered under a false name" on Feb. 16.
Mr. Christie told The Post the operation appears to be working.
"A week or two ago, I went to a steakhouse and ordered a steak and ate about a third of it and I was full," Mr. Christie told The Post.
Mr. Christie has been open with his struggle to lose weight for years and his weight has made him a frequent target at late-night comedians.
He also joked about his weight at times.
Jokes aside, Mr. Chrisite's weight — and related health concerns — has long been seen as one of the biggest roadblocks to a presidential run.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Freedom Summit unofficial start to '16 GOP primary
- Eric Cantor falls hard from good graces of conservatives
- Eric Cantor pressured to skip conference by moderate GOP group
- GOP congressman: Empower states to legalize marijuana
- Gov. Jindal: GOP 2016 White House nominee should be a governor
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.