- Easter worshippers shocked as car rams church, injuring 21
- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama, Clinton have blood on their hands
Finally, a report has been issued stating that President Obama and the Department of State set up the conditions that led to the loss of American lives in Benghazi (“Obama, Clinton blew Benghazi response: Republican report,” Web, April 23).
Having been an undersecretary in the British Ministry of Defense, I understood how politicians operate to deflect blame whenever a catastrophe occurs. Accordingly, I sent a letter to the press two days after the attack in Benghazi, suggesting that once the facts emerged it would be clear that two individuals — President Obama and then-Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton — would be found to be responsible for the events.
This was based on the fact that, as commander in chief, the president should have sought assurance before the event that all U.S. personnel and assets in unstable areas of the world were adequately protected before the anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001. The responsibility of Mrs. Clinton would have been to foresee the likelihood of an attack in these areas and to respond to the president’s instruction.
Seven months have passed since our ambassador was slaughtered — and Mr. Obama has yet to give a straight answer to his involvement (or worse, his lack of involvement) in planning for protection of our assets. Mrs. Clinton’s response to the critical question is her now-famous retort, “What difference, at this point, does it make?”
Well, the American people think it makes a difference, and we deserve answers. Sadly, those will not be forthcoming; all we will get are more idle claims that those responsible will be brought to justice. We have made only feeble attempts to trace the terrorists who took advantage of the incompetence of our president and secretary of state while those really responsible continue to obfuscate the truth and hope that time will make the rest of us forget.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- In Colorado, a marijuana holiday tries to go mainstream
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- See the scathing documents detailing $600 billion squandered in Afghanistan