- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Bomb, shooting in Egypt kills 2 police officers
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama, Clinton have blood on their hands
Finally, a report has been issued stating that President Obama and the Department of State set up the conditions that led to the loss of American lives in Benghazi (“Obama, Clinton blew Benghazi response: Republican report,” Web, April 23).
Having been an undersecretary in the British Ministry of Defense, I understood how politicians operate to deflect blame whenever a catastrophe occurs. Accordingly, I sent a letter to the press two days after the attack in Benghazi, suggesting that once the facts emerged it would be clear that two individuals — President Obama and then-Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton — would be found to be responsible for the events.
This was based on the fact that, as commander in chief, the president should have sought assurance before the event that all U.S. personnel and assets in unstable areas of the world were adequately protected before the anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001. The responsibility of Mrs. Clinton would have been to foresee the likelihood of an attack in these areas and to respond to the president’s instruction.
Seven months have passed since our ambassador was slaughtered — and Mr. Obama has yet to give a straight answer to his involvement (or worse, his lack of involvement) in planning for protection of our assets. Mrs. Clinton’s response to the critical question is her now-famous retort, “What difference, at this point, does it make?”
Well, the American people think it makes a difference, and we deserve answers. Sadly, those will not be forthcoming; all we will get are more idle claims that those responsible will be brought to justice. We have made only feeble attempts to trace the terrorists who took advantage of the incompetence of our president and secretary of state while those really responsible continue to obfuscate the truth and hope that time will make the rest of us forget.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
Get Breaking Alerts
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Professor apologizes after blasting Republicans in class
- Justice Dept.'s new clemency guidelines: Crack offenders most obvious candidates
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Ministry of Truth: SCOTUS skeptical of law to police campaign 'lies'