- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama, Clinton have blood on their hands
Question of the Day
Finally, a report has been issued stating that President Obama and the Department of State set up the conditions that led to the loss of American lives in Benghazi (“Obama, Clinton blew Benghazi response: Republican report,” Web, April 23).
Having been an undersecretary in the British Ministry of Defense, I understood how politicians operate to deflect blame whenever a catastrophe occurs. Accordingly, I sent a letter to the press two days after the attack in Benghazi, suggesting that once the facts emerged it would be clear that two individuals — President Obama and then-Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton — would be found to be responsible for the events.
This was based on the fact that, as commander in chief, the president should have sought assurance before the event that all U.S. personnel and assets in unstable areas of the world were adequately protected before the anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001. The responsibility of Mrs. Clinton would have been to foresee the likelihood of an attack in these areas and to respond to the president’s instruction.
Seven months have passed since our ambassador was slaughtered — and Mr. Obama has yet to give a straight answer to his involvement (or worse, his lack of involvement) in planning for protection of our assets. Mrs. Clinton’s response to the critical question is her now-famous retort, “What difference, at this point, does it make?”
Well, the American people think it makes a difference, and we deserve answers. Sadly, those will not be forthcoming; all we will get are more idle claims that those responsible will be brought to justice. We have made only feeble attempts to trace the terrorists who took advantage of the incompetence of our president and secretary of state while those really responsible continue to obfuscate the truth and hope that time will make the rest of us forget.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- New York Times reporter Carol Vogel accused of plagiarism
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- ISIL destroys key bridge leading to Baghdad; suicide truck bomb severed supply line