- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama, Clinton have blood on their hands
Question of the Day
Finally, a report has been issued stating that President Obama and the Department of State set up the conditions that led to the loss of American lives in Benghazi ("Obama, Clinton blew Benghazi response: Republican report," Web, April 23).
Having been an undersecretary in the British Ministry of Defense, I understood how politicians operate to deflect blame whenever a catastrophe occurs. Accordingly, I sent a letter to the press two days after the attack in Benghazi, suggesting that once the facts emerged it would be clear that two individuals — President Obama and then-Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton — would be found to be responsible for the events.
This was based on the fact that, as commander in chief, the president should have sought assurance before the event that all U.S. personnel and assets in unstable areas of the world were adequately protected before the anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001. The responsibility of Mrs. Clinton would have been to foresee the likelihood of an attack in these areas and to respond to the president's instruction.
Seven months have passed since our ambassador was slaughtered — and Mr. Obama has yet to give a straight answer to his involvement (or worse, his lack of involvement) in planning for protection of our assets. Mrs. Clinton's response to the critical question is her now-famous retort, "What difference, at this point, does it make?"
Well, the American people think it makes a difference, and we deserve answers. Sadly, those will not be forthcoming; all we will get are more idle claims that those responsible will be brought to justice. We have made only feeble attempts to trace the terrorists who took advantage of the incompetence of our president and secretary of state while those really responsible continue to obfuscate the truth and hope that time will make the rest of us forget.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- ISIL captured 52 U.S.-made howitzers; artillery weapons cost 500K each