- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
- New evidence could threaten Army sex assault case
- George Zimmerman signs autographs at Orlando gun show
- GOP lawmaker faces fire for NBA crime tweet
- Taliban vow to ‘use all force’ to disrupt Afghan elections
- Atheists sue to remove ‘Ground Zero Cross’ from 9/11 museum
- Bishop in Aleppo: ‘We Christians live in fear in Syria’
- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
No Benghazi II: Pentagon now prepared to repel assaults on diplomatic outposts in Africa
The Pentagon says it’s now equipped to launch the type of rescue mission that could have helped American personnel who came under deadly attack at the temporary diplomatic post in Benghazi, Libya, last year.
U.S. Africa Command has positioned a 500-strong Marine task force in Moron, Spain and equipped with Osprey aircraft capable of vertical landing along with KC-130 mid-air refueling tankers, said Defense Department spokesman Maj. Robert A. Firman.
“Their whole reason for being is crisis response in Africa,” Maj. Firman said, adding that Africom also now had its own Commander's In-extremis Force — a small commando of special forces personnel prepared to deploy at short notice.
Their exact response time is classified, he said, but “They are ready to go.”
A House hearing Wednesday will hear testimony about why the U.S. military was not prepared to protect the American diplomats and workers attacked by terrorists last year in Benghazi.
Gregory N. Hicks, a career diplomat who became chief of mission in Libya when the attack killed U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other U.S. personnel, has told investigators from the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee that the U.S. military had no assets ready to respond immediately to the attack.
According to transcript excerpts of his interviewers released by congressional staff, Mr. Hicks said that four U.S. special operations troops in Tripoli were told not to get on a plane to Benghazi the morning after the attack.
That incident is apparently the source of the notorious “stand down” allegation, charging that Obama administration officials ordered military forces not to go to the rescue.
But Mr. Hicks acknowledged that even the second phase of the attack was over before the plane, provided by the Libyan military, took off after 6 AM on Sept. 12.
“No U.S. government element refused or denied requests for emergency assistance during the crisis,” says an interim report from House investigative staff.
Mr. Hicks‘ account confirms the findings of the State Department-chartered investigations called an Accountability Review Board, that no U.S. military assets were close enough to respond to the attacks in Benghazi. He told investigators there was no air-to-air refueling available to get F15s at Aviano U.S. Air Force Base in Italy to Benghazi and back.
But that conclusion also raises harder questions about why the Department of Defense was not prepared to launch a no-notice rescue mission in Africa, despite the presence of U.S. diplomatic facilities in countries like Libya, Mali and the Central African republic which were known last year to be highly unstable and to have military forces that might not be able to defend U.S. diplomats.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Shaun Waterman is an award-winning reporter for The Washington Times, covering foreign affairs, defense and cybersecurity. He was a senior editor and correspondent for United Press International for nearly a decade, and has covered the Department of Homeland Security since 2003. His reporting on the Sept. 11 Commission and the tortuous process by which some of its recommendations finally became ...
- Senator's memo shows Iran links in Homeland Security's troubled immigration program
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- Dems back bill to fix problems in investor visa program
- Democrats proceed with Mayorkas vote despite pending investigation
- Game players don't think peace has a chance in Syria
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- Charges filed against accused 'shadow campaign' financier
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again