No charges against two Castro brothers: Prosecutor

In a surprising development, a Cleveland prosecutor now says there will be no charges filed against brothers Onil and Pedro Castro in connection with the decade-long captivity of three young women.

The third brother, Ariel Castro, will face four counts of kidnapping and three counts of rape. Until Wednesday afternoon’s press conference, it had been widely reported that the three brothers were all responsible for the heinous crimes.

“No charges will be filed against these two individuals at this time,” said Cleveland prosecutor Victor Perez, referring to Onil and Pedro. “There is no evidence to suggest that these two individuals had any involvement in the commission of the crimes committed” against Michelle Knight, Gina DeJesus and Amanda Berry, along with Ms. Berry’s 6-year-old daughter born in captivity.

Cleveland police say they believed they had enough “probable cause” to take Onil and Pedro Castro into custody on Monday night, but have since learned there’s no evidence linking them to the crimes.

Ariel kept them at a distance,” said Cleveland Deputy Police Chief Ed Tomba. “We had enough probable cause to bring them into custody … we continued our investigation and we found no facts to link them to the crime. We do what we usually do and consult with the prosecutor.”

That consultation, Mr. Tomba said, led to the determination that they couldn’t charge Onil and Pedro with any crimes in connection to the ordeal.

The two men, however, will appear in court on Thursday morning on outstanding, unrelated misdemeanor charges, according to authorities.

Ariel Castro also will be arraigned on Thursday on kidnapping and rape charges.

© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks