- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
No charges against two Castro brothers: Prosecutor
The third brother, Ariel Castro, will face four counts of kidnapping and three counts of rape. Until Wednesday afternoon’s press conference, it had been widely reported that the three brothers were all responsible for the heinous crimes.
“No charges will be filed against these two individuals at this time,” said Cleveland prosecutor Victor Perez, referring to Onil and Pedro. “There is no evidence to suggest that these two individuals had any involvement in the commission of the crimes committed” against Michelle Knight, Gina DeJesus and Amanda Berry, along with Ms. Berry’s 6-year-old daughter born in captivity.
“Ariel kept them at a distance,” said Cleveland Deputy Police Chief Ed Tomba. “We had enough probable cause to bring them into custody … we continued our investigation and we found no facts to link them to the crime. We do what we usually do and consult with the prosecutor.”
The two men, however, will appear in court on Thursday morning on outstanding, unrelated misdemeanor charges, according to authorities.
Ariel Castro also will be arraigned on Thursday on kidnapping and rape charges.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Ben Wolfgang covers the White House for The Washington Times.
Before joining the Times in March 2011, Ben spent four years as a political reporter at the Republican-Herald in Pottsville, Pa.
He can be reached at email@example.com.
- White House PR blitz hits states that rejected Medicaid expansion
- Obama tries to calm Israeli fears over Iranian nuke deal 'not based on trust'
- Obama, first lady will attend Mandela memorial services
- Obama: Nelson Mandela now 'belongs to the ages'
- Obama lived with Uncle Onyango Obama in the 1980s, White House admits
Latest Blog Entries
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Crystal Wright is a black conservative woman living in Washington, D.C.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow