- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
- U.S., China race to finish line on ‘invisibility cloak’
- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
- Google’s newest photography find: Just wink and shoot
- Detroit’s Heidelberg art project hit by 8 fires in 8 months
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
Inside the Beltway: Target practice
Question of the Day
“Grab this gun before Obama does.”
And so advises Rep. Steve Stockman, who is raffling off a Bushmaster AR-15 rifle, which he describes as “almost impossible to find in stores and the No. 1 firearm on the gun banners’ wish list.” The Texas Republican considers the raffle a “promotion” and it has no entry fee; he’ll conduct a drawing on July Fourth, and yes, the winner must undergo a background check.
PRETEND OBAMA IS REPUBLICAN
Significant revelations about Benghazi warranted insignificant news coverage, says an analysis by the Media Research Center. “The Obama administration’s politically motivated cover-up of the Benghazi terrorist attacks last September was fully exposed during the House oversight committee hearing on Thursday. Five major bombshell revelations emerged that have, so far, only been given lip service by the three broadcast networks,” says Brent Bozell, founder of the conservative watchdog group.
“The media have an obligation to the victims’ families and to the American people to investigate these revelations morning, noon and night until the truth is known. If the media are having trouble finding the motivation to do their jobs, they should pretend President Obama is a Republican,” Mr. Bozell observes.
Among the bombshells? The study cites testimony that a four-man commando team in Tripoli was denied permission to go to Benghazi and help those under siege. It also cites evidence that the State Department knew the event was a terrorist attack, and also questions why then-Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton was never interviewed about the attacks.
“If ABC, CBS and NBC don’t thoroughly investigate and report on each and every one of these bombshell developments, and provide the American public with a true and honest account of the administration’s deadly mistakes and outright lies, they will also be guilty of deliberately censoring the news,” Mr. Bozell adds.
Rumors that businessmen Charles and David Koch intend to buy major newspapers from the Tribune Co. sparked a media frenzy. The brothers, coverage insisted, were intent on establishing a conservative news empire to rival the liberal press. Now the rumors has sparked a protest rally.
“Hundreds of union workers, environmentalists, good government advocates and others will rally outside the offices of Bruce Karsh in downtown Los Angeles on Tuesday,” say union-affiliated organizers; Mr. Karsh is chairman of Tribune, which owns the Los Angeles Times, Baltimore Sun and Chicago Tribune, among other papers.
“The Kochs’ radical right-wing extremism has no place in Los Angeles, particularly at the helm of the LA Times,” says Maria Elena Durazo, executive secretary-treasurer of the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO, which represents 850,000 local workers. The protesters, she says, will don masks and carry signs emblazoned with the motto “No Koch Hate in LA.”
The rumored sale of the newspapers has yet to be confirmed, only suggested by a New York Times story published in April that relied on unnamed sources and informed speculation.
DIPLOMA PLUS INSURANCE
Though $8 million has been given to a major PR firm to market “Obamacare” to a confused public, President Obama hopes to counter any chance that America will buy into Republican uneasiness with the implementation and hidden costs of health care reform. They’ve got one captive audience however.
“To counter the criticism, the White House has told all Cabinet members and senior officials to use commencement speeches to drive home for graduating college students and their parents the benefits they gain from a provision of the law that allows young adults to stay on their family’s insurance plans until they turn 26,” says a Bloomberg analysis published Thursday.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Inside the Beltway: Larry Klayman's spiritual calling
- Legal gadfly in NSA surveillance case can sting even his own mother in pursuit of principles
- Legal gadfly can sting NSA, even his own mother
- Inside the Beltway: Newest Obamacare Website fixer
- Inside the Beltway: Republicans for the little guy
Latest Blog Entries
- Gallup: Americans trust their car salesmen more than Congress
- Painter, biker, slightly grunge: George W. Bush becomes the new hipster icon
- Michael Savage's battle of Britain and the 'undesirables' continues
- The Gipper 24/7: Get the official - and free - Ronald Reagan App
- No kumbaya: Fiscal conservatives snarl at Patty and Paul's budget deal
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Fourth Amendment says Obama is not at liberty to collect metadata
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson: Gays 'wont inherit the kingdom of God'
- Prevention of school massacre shoots down arguments for Colorado gun control laws
- Zadzooks: The Joker sixth scale figure review (Sideshow Collectibles)
- CARUSO: Driving off Russian aggression with U.S. natural gas
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Right-brain investing in a left-brain world. You can do it. I can help.
News and views on the Civil War.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow