- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
LOVERRO: Here’s hoping rule changes can get college basketball in check
“Make kids more fundamentally sound, teach them how to pass and catch and cut and shoot and then you’d have a better game,” he told reporters. “We’re playing them too young, we’re not working enough on fundamentals. We’re putting them into systems rather than teaching them how to play.”
“He’s on the cover of Sports Illustrated, “Williams said. “And he’s already named an All-American. How can you be an All-American when you haven’t played a college game? I’d rather see guys who have proven themselves at the college level. I just think it’s not a good direction [for college basketball].”
Yes, this sounds like a “get off my lawn” complaint. But it’s not. The lawn that is college basketball today is not the lawn that Gary Williams helped grow. This lawn is full of weeds and burnt grass, and would require pesticides banned 50 years ago to change the direction of the game that celebrates Andrew Wiggins already.
You can have that lawn. It stinks.
• Thom Loverro is co-host of “The Sports Fix,” noon to 2 p.m. daily on ESPN 980 radio and espn980.com
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- LOVERRO: Caps' trading activity done by a man confident he'll be sticking around
- LOVERRO: Brian Orakpo is the Redskins' franchise player? Poor guy
- LOVERRO: For Matt Williams, it's 99 percent inspiration, 1 percent conversation
- LOVERRO: Time for Nats to give Frank Robinson his due
- LOVERRO: FBI files add to mystery of Sonny Liston, but Ali's legacy untarnished
Latest Blog Entries
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Obama engages in Ukraine diplomacy from Fla. resort as Russia digs in
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
- EDITORIAL: Senate rejects Adegbile for Justice post
- Italy outraged over U.S. gun dealer's 'David' ad
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again