- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Messi out 6 to 8 weeks with another leg injury
Barcelona said Monday that the four-time world player of the year has another leg injury _ his third of the season _ and this time needs six to eight weeks to recover. That would rule Messi out until about Christmas, when the Spanish league takes its annual winter break.
This season, the 26-year-old forward hurt his left thigh in August and then was sidelined for three weeks after tearing a small muscle in his right thigh in late September.
“It’s worrying when a player injures himself in the same place,” Argentina coach Alejandro Sabella said after dropping Messi from the South Americans’ exhibitions against Ecuador and Bosnia-Herzegovina. “Being injured so near the World Cup could be influential.”
Barcelona leads the Spanish league but will now be without Messi for up to eight games, including its last two Champions League group games against Ajax and Celtic, four Spanish League matches and the two legs of the Copa del Rey’s round of 32.
Despite his many injury problems this season, Messi has scored 14 goals in 16 games. But he endured a four-game scoreless streak in the league _ an eternity by his standards _ and he hasn’t had his usual burst of speed when playing less than fully healthy.
“Messi needs to stop and take care of himself,” Barcelona teammate Cesc Fabregas said. “I also went through a very bad year-and-a-half at Arsenal because of the same injury. I hope he recovers, and that he takes all the time he needs to make sure he’s well.”
Fabregas is dealing with injury, too. Barcelona said he injured his right knee in Sunday’s game and will miss Spain’s upcoming exhibitions against Equatorial Guinea and South Africa. Barcelona teammate Marc Bartra was called up to replace Fabregas for the games.
By Tammy Bruce
- AP Exclusive: Man said to create bitcoin denies it
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- U.S. tasks Navy destroyer to Black Sea amid Ukraine tensions
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rutgers professors to Condi Rice: Go home, and take your speech with you
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again