- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
U.S. Catholic bishops ponder politics of Pope Francis before picking new leader
Question of the Day
Though the political arena certainly will play a large role in the presidency of whoever is elected today, many conservative Catholics hope that the next president will find a way to transcend politics and the pressures it can place on faith and doctrine.
“Sadly, most of our leaders find it more appealing to be politically correct than truthful,” said Ms. Brown.
The winner of Tuesday’s secret vote will succeed Cardinal Timothy Dolan of New York, who opened the convention Monday with his final address as president.
During his three-year presidency, Cardinal Dolan has increased media awareness and helped the church rebound from sex-abuse scandals that caused many to question its legitimacy.
Cardinal Dolan also expressed support for immigration reform. Last week, he sent a letter to members of Congress asking that they address the polarizing issue before the end of the calendar year, according to the Catholic News Service.
“Like him or not, you couldn’t ignore him,” Rocco Palmo, editor of Whispers in the Loggia, a widely read blog on the Roman Catholic Church, told the Baltimore Sun. “He’s a once-in-a-generation leader. It’s like Elvis is leaving the building. Who’s going to take the stage now?”
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Eric Holder on Palin: 'She wasn't a particularly good vice presidential candidate'
- 'Be a leader' Perry tells Obama to confront border crisis
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- Amid border crisis, Obama to take 15-day vacation in Martha's Vineyard
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs