- San Antonio mayor to Obama: Give amnesty to illegals with legal families
- NYPD disbands unit that spied on Muslims to go after ‘real bad guys’
- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
Orange diamond fetches $35.5M at Geneva auction
GENEVA — The largest fancy vivid orange diamond ever sold at auction went for $35.5 million in Geneva, where a pink diamond estimated to be worth more than $60 million is also on the block.
The rare pear-shaped orange diamond sold Tuesday is 14.82-carats, meaning it went for an eye-popping $2.4 million per carat. That’s a world record price per carat for any colored diamond sold at auction, Christie’s said.
François Curiel, international head of Christie’s jewelry department, said the orange diamond’s record price puts it “amongst the greatest pinks and blues, which are traditionally the most appreciated colored diamonds.”
Sotheby’s auctions are headlined by Wednesday’s offering of “The Pink Star,” a vivid and flawless 59.60-carat pink diamond.
Geneva is a favorite auction site for buyers seeking gems and other luxury items
TWT Video Picks
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Al Qaeda mocks U.S. in 'extraordinary' Yemen gathering; experts fear CIA caught flat-footed
- HHS nominee Sylvia Burwell entangled in MetLife lawsuit
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Bill Clinton falls off vegan diet wagon but not vegan label
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes