- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
Rookies in the dugout: Experience no longer mandatory for MLB managers
Four of those 14 managers — McClendon, John Farrell (Boston), Terry Francona (Cleveland) and John Gibbons (Toronto) — are veterans with previous experience. Three — Ryne Sandberg (Philadelphia), Mike Redmond (Miami) and Rick Renteria (Chicago Cubs), hired just last week — had managed in the minors.
“Things aren’t necessarily the same as they were. Teams are willing to give on experience if they believe in the person they’re hiring,” said Luis Gonzalez, a five-time All-Star outfielder and now a special assistant with the Diamondbacks. “That’s probably allowed a lot more guys a chance sooner than they would have had before. That’s not always a bad thing.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Capitals goaltender Braden Holtby a microcosm of team's uneven 2013-14 season
- Albert Pujols hits career home run No. 500
- Tyler Clippard, Ian Desmond's struggles continue in Nats' 4-2 loss to Angels
- Bryce Harper and Mike Trout play against each other for first time
- Nationals reliever Drew Storen shuts down Cardinals in 3-1 win.
Latest Blog Entries
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China; prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Brain surgery victim struggles with Obamacare: 'It's scary'
- Protesters, police clash in Philippines ahead of Obama visit
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014