- Yemen: Airstrike targets al Qaeda training camps
- Easter worshippers shocked as car rams church, injuring 21
- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
CBO director: Short-term budget fix better than nothing
The CBO released a report Wednesday afternoon detailing the budgetary effects of more than 100 options that would decrease spending or increase revenue. While the report does not evaluate which would be best, it does lay out the consequences of each option, including how much it would save the government over the next 10 years.
Options range from Social Security reforms to increasing taxes on cigarettes to canceling the Navy’s plans to acquire more ballistic-missile submarines. Some that would save the most include reducing the size of the military, which would save $495 billion, and imposing a $25 tax per metric ton on greenhouse gases, which would save more than $1 trillion over 10 years.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jacqueline Klimas covers Capitol Hill for The Washington Times. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Rep. Kyrsten Sinema to run in Boston Marathon to honor bombing victims
- Building a D.C. memorial for an endless war bumps into regulations
- Superheroes fail to break record at Awesome Con
- Superheroes to take over Capitol Hill
- Rep. Moran defends against spoof blog's PTSD 'story'
Latest Blog Entries
- Miss. GOP chair: Huckabee distracting from GOP's reasonable pro-life stance
- Commerce Secretary 'optimistic' about U.S.'s economic standing worldwide
- Less than half of registered voters would re-elect their congressman, poll finds
- Half of registered voters in Va. would re-elect Sen. Mark Warner
- 2013 was second most polarizing year of Obama's presidency
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- In Colorado, a marijuana holiday tries to go mainstream
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- See the scathing documents detailing $600 billion squandered in Afghanistan
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.