- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
Fed nominee Janet Yellen objects to audit of monetary meetings
“Stock prices have risen pretty robustly, but if you look at traditional measures” such as price-earnings ratios, which factor in record-high corporate profits, “you would not see stock prices in territory that suggests bubblelike conditions,” Ms. Yellen said.
Ms. Yellen said she would not hesitate to use the Fed’s regulatory and monetary powers to curb dangerous market bubbles in the future, if necessary, however, and she said the Fed also would remain vigilant against risky practices by banks which could lead to another financial crisis like the one that caused the Great Recession in 2008.
“This is the most important lesson learned from the financial crisis,” she said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- U.S. Treasury warns China on currency
- IMF gives U.S. Congress year-end deadline for passing reforms
- IMF eyes 'Plan B' for reforming itself without U.S.
- Russia, China leading efforts to bypass U.S. as IMF reforms stall on Capitol Hill
- Jobs: U.S. private sector finally makes up recession's losses
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.