- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama owes much to Lincoln, Gettysburg
It is hard to adequately express our deep disappointment upon learning that President Obama will not attend the ceremonies marking the 150th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln’s delivery of the Gettysburg Address (“Obama diss: President snubs historic Gettysburg 150th anniversary ceremony,” Web, Oct. 31).
The tremendous loss of life at the Battle of Gettysburg — more than 50,000 lives — was part of the high cost our country paid to be set in a new direction. In just 268 words, Lincoln eloquently delivered the message that the United States was one country with one destiny.
As a politician, Mr. Obama has often drawn parallels between himself and Lincoln, who set forth the change that eventually made possible the election of the first black president. Mr. Obama launched his campaign here in Springfield, and he has twice taken the oath of office on Lincoln’s Bible. Therefore, his failure to appear at the Gettysburg ceremonies is both baffling and inexcusable.
The first black president should be present in Gettysburg on Tuesday to read the Gettysburg Address as Abraham Lincoln did 150 years earlier. The president’s failure to appropriately honor this anniversary shows a lack of understanding of the enormity of the event and his place in history.
Mr. Obama’s very presidency is testament to the progress this nation has made, slow and painful though it may have been. He needs to honor that.
JON GRAY NOLL
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Muhammad wouldn't condone Boston bombing
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: High heels: Hazardous to one's health?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Marshall's comments hurt GOP, pro-lifers