- Tennessee ammunition site explodes, killing 1
- U.N.: Iran cuts stock closest to nuke-arms grade
- Oklahoma gay-marriage case before U.S. appeals court
- Times wins two awards from Society for Professional Journalists
- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
Austin Dillon offers insight on his cowboys hats
HOMESTEAD, FLA. (AP) - NASCAR might have another cowboy-hat-wearing champion in its second-tier Nationwide Series.
Ricky Stenhouse Jr. won his second straight Nationwide title in 2012 and regularly wore a 10-gallon hat whenever he was out of the car.
Now, it’s Austin Dillon and his black hat closing in on the championship. Dillon leads Sam Hornish Jr. by eight points, needing to finish third or better in Saturday’s season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway to clinch the title.
“I like to wear them,” Dillon said Friday. “I grew up wearing them when I was little. We would go to Montana horseback riding. I was always a John Wayne fan, huge cowboy fan. I started wearing them heavily. I don’t get paid to wear these hats.”
Dillon gets his hats for free from Charlie 1 Horse, a connection he made at Texas Motor Speedway.
“Always controversy,” he said. “They’re going to make fun of me if I had a zit on my nose or something like that. I can’t control that. I’m comfortable whatever I do, in my own skin, surround myself with the people I want to be around.”
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.