- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Carpenter steps backs, hires Conway to share ride
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - IndyCar owner/driver Ed Carpenter said Friday that he will run a partial schedule in 2014, driving six oval races and turning all road/street courses over to Mike Conway.
Carpenter, who won the pole for the Indianapolis 500 in May, finished second in the IndyCar season finale at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif., last month.
Conway won a Detroit street race in 2013 and won the Long Beach street race in 2011. The two drivers will split time in the No. 20 ECR Chevrolet/Dallara.
Conway walked away from the 2012 season finale at Fontana, saying he was not comfortable racing on ovals. He has been interested in a return to IndyCar on a street-and-road-only schedule.
"We couldn't be happier to welcome Mike Conway to the Ed Carpenter Racing family," Carpenter said in a statement. "My partners, (team manager) Tim Broyles, and I are committed to building an organization based on culture, sustainability, and performance. We are very proud of the group of people we have assembled and bringing Mike into the fold creates an opportunity for us to show even more value to our partners and strengthen our team by competing for victories at every single event in the 2014 IndyCar Series."
Conway said he was looking forward to the opportunity.
"It is great news to be back in IndyCar next year for all the road and street courses," Conway said. "I had a lot of fun this year in the select races that I could do, and I hope that I can continue my success with Ed Carpenter Racing next year."
This will be Conway's sixth IndyCar season. He has four podiums and 18 top-10 finishes in 60 career starts.
"I have a great deal of respect for Ed Carpenter to have the vision to put Mike in the car for the street and road tracks," said Conway's agent, former IndyCar driver Mark Blundell. "I think that the blend of his skill sets on the ovals combined with Mike's talent and pace makes for a very strong combination over the 2014 season."
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.