- FCC’s new ‘net neutrality’ proposal sparks outrage among consumer advocates
- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
- 2-week truce for Sriracha hot sauce maker, California city
- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
Inside the Beltway: Obamacare ‘fix’ now in a fix
FROM THE ‘HEH’ DESK
Meanwhile, there’s a cultural moment. As far as the Obamacare goes, Americans trust information from Fox News more than President Obama. No, really. A new poll from YouGov finds that Fox News leads the list of most-trusted sources for health care news, followed by “friends and family,” Mr. Obama, National Public Radio, “your personal insurance company,” local TV news and, wonder of wonders — “Republicans in Congress.”
Consider that “Obama administration officials” ranks 13th while “Democrats in Congress” follows in 14th place. The other news networks were scattered throughout the lengthy list. The poll of 1,000 U.S. adults was conducted Nov. 6 and 7.
THE RETURN OF THE HE-MAN
Stand clear, now. Here comes “Mansfield’s Book of Manly Men: An Utterly Invigorating Guide to being Your Most Masculine Self,” by one Stephen Mansfield. Due from publisher Thomas Nelson on Tuesday, the book has received accolades from none other than Lt. Gen. William G. Boykin, the former commander of Delta Force.
“The Western world is in a crisis of discarded honor, dubious integrity, and faux manliness. It is time to recover what we have lost,” Mr. Mansfield proclaims. He also wrote “The Faith of George W. Bush” and “Lincoln’s Battle with God” among other books.
“My goal in this book is simple. I want to identify what a genuine man does — the virtues, the habits, the disciplines, the duties, the actions of true manhood — and then call men to do it,” the author adds.
He is weary of man-bashing culture like demeaning commercials and sitcoms, and he seeks to school younger gents in authentic manliness, lest they become isolated, by emphasizing “more doing, less talking.”
The thoughtful Mr. Mansfield also has supplied a list of 10 essential movies for manly men. They are: “Seabiscuit,” “Chariots of Fire,” “The Pursuit of Happy-ness,” “It’s a Wonderful Life,” “Dead Poets Society,” “Apollo 13,” “The King’s Speech,” “Men of Honor,” “Hoosiers” and “The Last Samurai.”
Now open at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, Calif., it’s “SPY: The Secret World of Espionage,” an exhibit that includes never before seen objects and documents from the CIA, KGB, FBI, National Reconnaissance Office and the “clandestine world of spies.” The collection of 300 items includes eavesdropping bugs, concealed cameras, a Soviet poison dart umbrella and Reagan’s original leather binder for intelligence briefings.
Also on the tour: interactive secret writing devices, disguises, voice changers, a laser maze and “on-the-spot training for future spies,” organizers say.
A public Spy Lunch scheduled for Wednesday, incidentally, includes “Covert Salad” with fancy ranch dressing, a “CIA Entree” consisting of rosemary chicken and roasted potatoes plus “Espionage Cake,” which has much to do with chocolate and raspberry.
POLL DU JOUR
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Bloomberg-backed protestors to rally at NRA national meeting
- Inside the Beltway: A presidential showcase for Mike Pence
- 10 state tour: Tea party bus rolls in the name of liberty - and the midterms
- Inside the Beltway: The Elizabeth Warren effect
- They're next: Alaska fumes over marijuana legalization
Latest Blog Entries
- A startling 20 percent of Democratic lawmakers already endorse Hillary Clinton for president
- Hey food police: calling obesity a 'disease' is actually a health risk
- Cheese and an 'enhanced experience': White House goes showbiz on the State of the Union address
- Cruz calls it a 'circus': the State of the Union spectacle begins
- Half of American fans say God and 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- List Hillary Clinton's successes? State Dept. spokeswoman flubs answer
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014