- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Hamlin wins Cup race for 8th consecutive year
Question of the Day
“When you go an entire year or more without winning, it makes you appreciate when you get back there,” said Hamlin, whose last victory came at New Hampshire in September 2012. “I think this does so much more emotionally to our confidence knowing that we can get back to the top. For me, it just makes me appreciate that opportunity that I have.”
Hamlin missed the Chase and finished 23rd in points this season.
But his win gives him confidence he can be a contender in 2014 _ much like he was in six of the previous seven seasons. His JGR teammates _ Kenseth and Kyle Busch _ finished second and fourth, respectively, in points.
“I’m glad Denny’s back,” Kenseth said. “That’s awesome. You’ve got to give it to him. He’s had a tough year. We’re all going to be strong next year.”
And Hamlin’s win also should pay dividends during NASCAR’s short offseason.
It did in 2009, when Hamlin won the season finale at Homestead and kick-started his best season. He won eight races in 2010 and nearly beat Jimmie Johnson for the title.
“I feel like there’s no reason why we can’t shoot out of the gates in `14 like we did in 2010 after winning here in 2009,” Hamlin said. “That was the point for us. When we won this race here in `09, confidence went through the roof, and 2010 was a great season for us.
“Hopefully, that repeats.”
By Scott Pinsker
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Computer glitch caused odd Saturday release of D.C. guns ruling
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq