- ‘Optionally piloted’ Black Hawk helicopter clears tests; future missions to go ‘fully unmanned’
- Vice News reporter kidnapped in Ukraine is freed after being beaten, blindfolded
- FCC’s new ‘net neutrality’ proposal sparks outrage among consumer advocates
- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
- 2-week truce for Sriracha hot sauce maker, California city
- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
Hamlin wins Cup race for 8th consecutive year
“When you go an entire year or more without winning, it makes you appreciate when you get back there,” said Hamlin, whose last victory came at New Hampshire in September 2012. “I think this does so much more emotionally to our confidence knowing that we can get back to the top. For me, it just makes me appreciate that opportunity that I have.”
Hamlin missed the Chase and finished 23rd in points this season.
But his win gives him confidence he can be a contender in 2014 _ much like he was in six of the previous seven seasons. His JGR teammates _ Kenseth and Kyle Busch _ finished second and fourth, respectively, in points.
“I’m glad Denny’s back,” Kenseth said. “That’s awesome. You’ve got to give it to him. He’s had a tough year. We’re all going to be strong next year.”
And Hamlin’s win also should pay dividends during NASCAR’s short offseason.
It did in 2009, when Hamlin won the season finale at Homestead and kick-started his best season. He won eight races in 2010 and nearly beat Jimmie Johnson for the title.
“I feel like there’s no reason why we can’t shoot out of the gates in `14 like we did in 2010 after winning here in 2009,” Hamlin said. “That was the point for us. When we won this race here in `09, confidence went through the roof, and 2010 was a great season for us.
“Hopefully, that repeats.”
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- List Hillary Clinton's successes? State Dept. spokeswoman flubs answer
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014