- Sarah Palin to campaign for Senate candidate Ben Sasse in Nebraska
- Boise business entices customers to come break stuff — ‘recreational destruction’
- Fired Yahoo exec’s $60 million golden parachute may be a record
- Arkansas gynecologist snapped nude photos of patients, police say
- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
- No selfie awareness: Obama, Biden mug for Instagram as Ukraine implodes
- Putin to Snowden: We don’t collect droves of data on everyone like the U.S.
- Clemson football’s new opponent: Atheists upset with player prayer, Bible study
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s re-election launch party will be ‘history in the making,’ brother says
Hamlin wins Cup race for 8th consecutive year
“When you go an entire year or more without winning, it makes you appreciate when you get back there,” said Hamlin, whose last victory came at New Hampshire in September 2012. “I think this does so much more emotionally to our confidence knowing that we can get back to the top. For me, it just makes me appreciate that opportunity that I have.”
Hamlin missed the Chase and finished 23rd in points this season.
But his win gives him confidence he can be a contender in 2014 _ much like he was in six of the previous seven seasons. His JGR teammates _ Kenseth and Kyle Busch _ finished second and fourth, respectively, in points.
“I’m glad Denny’s back,” Kenseth said. “That’s awesome. You’ve got to give it to him. He’s had a tough year. We’re all going to be strong next year.”
And Hamlin’s win also should pay dividends during NASCAR’s short offseason.
It did in 2009, when Hamlin won the season finale at Homestead and kick-started his best season. He won eight races in 2010 and nearly beat Jimmie Johnson for the title.
“I feel like there’s no reason why we can’t shoot out of the gates in `14 like we did in 2010 after winning here in 2009,” Hamlin said. “That was the point for us. When we won this race here in `09, confidence went through the roof, and 2010 was a great season for us.
“Hopefully, that repeats.”
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.