- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
States take up the fight against Obama’s changes to health care law
Fear president’s renewal plan could send insurance premiums soaring
Rep. Kyrsten Sinema, Arizona Democrat, voted for the bill, yet urged her state’s insurance chief to implement Mr. Obama’s fix.
Reps. Lois Capps and Zoe Lofgren, California Democrats who voted against the House bill, made a similar plea to California Health and Human Services Secretary Diana Dooley.
(Corrected paragraph:) Early on, Sen. Bill Nelson, Florida Democrat, urged his state officials to implement Mr. Obama’s fix.
Four Republicans bucked their party and voted against the House bill, perhaps because it could be viewed as an attempt to smooth over Mr. Obama’s controversial reforms.
Meanwhile, the insurance industry is left to sort it all out.
“The question is what happens. Who will join the markets?” Karen Ignagni, CEO of America’s Health Insurance Plans, said on Fox. “Will it be the young and the healthy balancing out the old and the sick?”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Tom Howell Jr. covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Sebelius not running for Senate, HHS confirms: Report
- Red fox makes a home for himself at the White House: Report
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- Sen. Joe Manchin keeps his options open for 2016
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.