- The Washington Times - Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Virginia has opened an investigation into the mental health evaluation of Gus Deeds, who underwent a psychiatric examination but was released just hours before attacking his father and then taking his own life early Tuesday.

Gus Deeds‘ father, state Sen. R. Creigh Deeds, was listed in good condition Wednesday at the University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville.

G. Douglas Bevelacqua, who works on behavioral health issues in the office of the state inspector general, has confirmed that the office is investigating the release of Gus Deeds, 24, after an emergency custody order expired Monday.

SEE ALSO: Turned away: How Virginia mental health system let Creigh Deeds’ family down

“It would obviously be inappropriate to get ahead of it,” he said in a brief phone interview.

Gus Deeds had undergone a psychiatric evaluation at a facility in Lexington but was released after a bed could not be found for him.

The emergency custody order allowed him to be held for up to four hours to determine whether he could be held longer under a temporary detention order.

Gus Deeds was released when no psychiatric bed could be located after eight hospitals were tried, Dennis Cropper, executive director of the Rockbridge County Community Services Board, told the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

On Wednesday, Debra Thompson, a spokeswoman for Rockingham Memorial Hospital in Harrisonburg, said there were available beds on Monday in the hospital’s inpatient unit.

However, Ms. Thompson said, the emergency team member on call that night “did not speak with anyone at the Rockbridge CSB” about an open bed.

At least two other facilities within an hour’s drive of Lexington — Western State Hospital in Staunton and the University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville — had available space.

The Washington Post first reported the news about the three facilities.

More details about Tuesday’s attack also emerged Wednesday.

Mr. Deeds and his son had an altercation outside of his Millboro home and Mr. Deeds was stabbed multiple times in the head and torso, police said.

After the stabbing, Mr. Deeds walked down the hill from his house to Route 42, where he was spotted and picked up by a cousin driving along the road. The two drove to the cousin’s residence and called 911, police said.

After authorities arrived, Mr. Deeds was taken in an ambulance to a nearby relative’s farm and a medical evacuation helicopter.

Story Continues →