- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
George W. Bush on Jay Leno’s ‘Tonight Show’: Eight years is plenty
“I really don’t miss the spotlight,” the 43rd president said. “It’s hard for some to believe, but I think eight years of the spotlight’s enough.”
Mr. Leno remarked that the former president does look more relaxed.
“No kiddin,’” Mr. Bush said, laughing. “Duh.”
Mr. Bush said he’s comfortable with the fact that it’s going to take some time for history to judge the decisions he made during his eight years in office.
“I read some biographies on Washington,” he said. “My attitude is [if] they’re still writin’ biographies on the first guy, the 43rd guy doesn’t need to worry about it.”
Speculation about who might run on the Republican side to succeed President Obama has included talk of Jeb Bush.
Former first lady Barbara Bush said she doesn’t want Jeb to run despite being eminently qualified, saying earlier in the year that the country has had enough Bushes. President George H.W. Bush (“41,” as Mr. Bush called him during the interview) served as president from 1989 to 1993.
Mrs. Bush’s comments came around the time the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum at Southern Methodist University in Dallas was opened.
“I was surprised she even answered the question,” Mr. Bush said. “This is the woman who when I was getting ready to run against Gov. Ann Richards in Texas — I called her and said, ‘Hey, Mom, I’m going to to run against Gov. Richards.’ Long pause; she said, ‘You can’t win.’”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
David Sherfinski covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- Michael Bloomberg charts $50M challenge to NRA: 'Got to make them afraid'
- McAuliffe's PAC off to fast start, with $254,000 raised in two weeks
- Virginia Republican Bob Marshall stands by remarks that raise eyebrows
- Obama urged to enforce ban on importing military-style firearms
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- 10 million new babies? China's hope for boom likely to become policy bust
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.