- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Norwegian army introduces ‘meatless Mondays’ to cut carbon emissions
Question of the Day
The Norwegian army has introduced “meatless Mondays” to soldiers in an effort to cut down on ecologically unfriendly foods.
Meatless Mondays have been introduced at one of the country’s main bases and soon will be rolled out to all units, the Daily Mail reported.
Livestock farming accounts for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions worldwide, according to the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization.
“It’s a step to protect our climate. The idea is to serve food that’s respectful of the environment,” army spokesman Eystein Kvarving told Agence France-Presse. “It’s about being more concerned for our climate, more ecologically friendly and also healthier.”
An environmental group that campaigns for meatless Mondays in Norway, the Future in Our Hands, welcomed the army’s announcement.
“The defence ministry deserves a lot of praise because it’s taking climate and environmental issues seriously,” Arild Hermstad, the group’s director, told AFP.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Doctor, 2 others shot at Pennsylvania hospital: reports
- Washington Post reporter, 2 other Americans detained in Iran
- Browns fan records himself urinating on grave of former Ravens owner Art Modell
- Alec Baldwin refuses to apologize for berating cops: 'I’d rather pay the fine'
- N.J. teen who sued parents granted restraining order against boyfriend
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq