- Marine Warfighting Lab tests the Godzilla of amphibious assault vehicles
- Harry Reid: Birth-control ruling the worst Supreme Court decision in 25 years
- Vet suicides ‘horrible human cost’ of VA dysfunction: lawmaker
- First marijuana customer in Spokane says he was fired
- Hagel: ‘Make no mistake,’ ISIL is an ‘imminent’ threat to U.S.
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to ‘fight for national sovereignty’
- Coburn calls hiring of embattled background check firm ‘troubling’
- World Cup: It’s raining men in Brazil as women samba with visitors
- Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl captured in photo smiling with Taliban jihadist
- Germany demands ouster of U.S. spy chief
EDITORIAL: Giving thanks for Obamacare
President’s campaign seeks enrollment cheer in the holidays
Question of the Day
President Obama’s minions want family holiday gatherings to be a time for reflection on the blessings of Healthcare.gov. Organizing for Action, the rebranded version of Mr. Obama’s political machine, has unveiled an advertising campaign designed to boost Obamacare’s embarrassing enrollment numbers. It’s titled “Health Care for the Holiday.”
The campaign script urges people to “take advantage of downtime after meals or between holiday activities to start your talk.” It wants family members to pester one another with the question, “Have you thought about signing up for health insurance on the new marketplace?” The marketing material carefully omits use of the word “Obamacare,” just as it also silent about the canceled policies, premium increases and shrinking access to doctors and hospitals that have resulted from the government intervention into the marketplace.
In the unlikely event that someone actually wants to put down the cranberry sauce and stuffing in favor of logging in and downloading an Obamacare policy on Thursday, that individual will likely be disappointed. Officials at the Department of Health and Human Services hope the failed Healthcare.gov website will be almost functional by Dec. 1, but they’re not making any more promises.
Mr. Obama, on the other hand, is as committed as ever. “As we go into the holiday season,” the president said in a conference call to supporters last week, “… now is the time to remind people that, ‘Look, we’ve got to make sure that everybody takes advantage of the opportunity to get affordable coverage for the first time.’”
Turning a festive family gathering into an occasion for proselytization is just the sort of disruptive tactic that candidate Obama recommended in a September 2008 stump speech in which he urged supporters to carry his campaign message to their friends and neighbors. “I want you to argue with them,” he said. “Get in their face.”
A writer for the online magazine Slate agreed last week in a snarky essay “How to Pick a Fight With Your Relatives This Thanksgiving.” Though John Cook didn’t urge making a sales pitch for Obamacare specifically, he did advise sticking to “short, sarcastic, tendentious remarks to get things going.” He suggests saying, “I’m thankful for all that free stuff Obama gave me.” Liberals like Mr. Cook see a sporting value in rubbing passage of the health care takeover in the faces of its opponents. MSNBC host Chris Hayes likewise tweeted a promo for his program: “Devoting our whole show on Wednesday to how to talk politics, news with conservative family members,” he wrote. “Should be fun.”
The Tea Party Patriots is countering the effort to hijack the holiday, which coincides with the start of Hanukkah, with its own “Thanksgiving Toolkit.” The document offers rebuttals to the Obamacare spin machine along with ideas for health care reform that would actually make coverage more affordable.
Turkey Day has always been about recognizing and appreciating all the good things we have in life. One thing is certain: Obamacare isn’t one of them.
About the Author
- EDITORIAL: What’s Obama hiding at illegal-alien 'refugee' camps?
- EDITORIAL: No free pass on gun rights for red-state Democrats
- EDITORIAL: iFiasco in the classroom
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Douglass would abhor affirmative action
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama's voter bloc of 'entitlement' illegals
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Banning speech with a constitutional amendment is playing with fire
Get Breaking Alerts
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- IRS employee suspended for pro-Obama activities
- White House plans for bowling alley upgrades abruptly canceled
- HUSAIN: The fake caliph of 'The Islamic State'
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- HUSAR: Mexicos Pena Nieto passes the immigration bucket
- Harry Reid lambasted by black conservatives after calling Justice Thomas white
- EDITORIAL: Whats Obama hiding at illegal-alien 'refugee' camps?
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
- Jesse Jackson hits Obama for putting immigrant children first