- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
- San Diego Costco, Target shoppers shocked by plane crash in parking lot
- George W. Bush penning biography of father
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels
- Spain evacuates staff from embassy in Libya
- Peace Corps evacuates over Ebola fears; 2 volunteers isolated
- House overwhelmingly approves $16 billion cash infusion for VA overhaul
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
Ayatollah Khamenei backs Iranian nuclear deal
Question of the Day
President Obama has a new fan of the nuclear deal that was brokered with Iran over the weekend: Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.
In a letter send to Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, Ayatollah Khamenei blessed the six-month agreement, Al-Monitor reported.
“What you have gained, an appreciation and thanks for the nuclear negotiation body and officials is befitting, and can be the basis for the next wise steps,” he said. “Undoubtedly, the … prayers and the backing of the Iranian nation was the factor in this success, and will be in the future. God willing, persistence against those who want too much has to always be the criteria for the straight path of the officials, and will always be, God willing.”
The Ayatollah’s letter may be his way protecting President Rouhani from hardliners who oppose any deal with the West.
“Khamenei does have, as best as any outsider can tell, all of the power he needs to force this through the system, to overcome the opposition of the hardliners. [But] we’ve never seen Khamenei actually overrule the hard-liners on an issue of this kind of importance,” Kenneth Pollack of the Brookings Institution told The Washington Post.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- U.S. doubting war on terror outcome: 27% of likely voters tell Rasmussen U.S. is winning
- Israel says Hamas trained operative for paraglider attack on civilians
- Army's 3-D printed bombs will create 'a whole new universe' of deadly capabilities
- 6 Philadelphia narcotics officers charged with robbing drug dealers of over $500K in cash
- ISIL destroys key bridge leading to Baghdad; suicide truck bomb severed supply line
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Star witness in Bob McDonnell corruption trial refutes 'crush' defense
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world