- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Christian B&B owners slapped with damages for turning away gays
A 69-year-old British woman and her 74-year-old husband were ordered Wednesday to pay damages to a gay couple after the U.K. Supreme Court ruled they wrongfully kept the couple from staying in their Christian-based bed-and-breakfast.
Hazelmary and Peter Bull, who have religious views that regard any sex outside of marriage as a “sin,” refused to allow Steven Preddy and Martyn Hall to stay in a double room at their privately owned bed-and-breakfast in 2008, BBC reported.
The gay men sued, and the couple lost in Bristol County Court and then again at the Court of Appeal. But Mr. and Mrs. Bull said they didn’t discriminate against the men — they just made a “religiously-informed judgment of conscience,” BBC said.
Once again, they lost in court. The five Supreme Court justices said they did discriminate, effectively reinstating a fine that was handed down at the Bristol County Court level in 2011, of about 3,600 pounds, or $5,874.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Calif. shop facing angry fire pulls 'smart gun' from shelves
- Napoleon's death-bed hair, shirt to hit the auction block
- Rachel Canning revealed: Host let teen throw booze parties
- Bob Costas botox caused pink eye; NBC host denies claim
- Woman born male sues CrossFit for gender discrimination
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
- Otter attacks, kills alligator at Florida wildlife refuge
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Senate rejects Gillibrand's overhaul of military's handling of sexual assaults
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again