- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
- Rep. Steve Stockman: Give my campaign $10, and you’ll get an Obama barf bag
- Putin: Russia to buy $15 billion in Ukraine bonds
- Expert: Obamacare ‘death spiral’ fears exaggerated
- Alabama firefighters dig for survivors of apartment blast
- Big Sur wildfire destroys home of firefighting chief
- ‘ ’Twas the Night Before Christmas’ set for mock trial to argue authorship
- Angela Merkel’s third term as Germany’s chancellor to be marked by move to left
- Mega Millions entices with record-setting jackpot: Half a billion so far
- Dennis Rodman heads to North Korea — despite execution, political purge
Dolphins want NFL review of Martin’s allegations
MIAMI (AP) - The Miami Dolphins and the NFL are probing allegations of player misconduct made Sunday by representatives of Jonathan Martin, the second-year lineman who has left the team to receive help for emotional issues.
The announcement by the Dolphins came Sunday afternoon, and only a few hours after the team said the notion of wrongdoing was merely speculative. It was part of a busy day off for the team, one that included the posting of several tweets by offensive lineman Richie Incognito, who said he wants his name cleared after several reports linked him to the Martin matter.
“We received notification today from Jonathan’s representation about allegations of player misconduct,” the Dolphins‘ Sunday afternoon statement read. “We are taking these allegations very seriously and plan to review the matter further. We have also reached out to the NFL and asked them to conduct an objective and thorough review. As an organization, we are committed to a culture of team-first accountability and respect for one another.”
Martin left the Dolphins on Oct. 28 in a way that raised questions about the role teasing from teammates played in his sudden departure. It’s unclear whether or when Martin is expected back. The Dolphins (4-4) had the weekend off and next play at Tampa Bay on Nov. 11.
Earlier Sunday, the Dolphins said the team, “including coach Joe Philbin and Jonathan’s teammates, have been in communication with Jonathan and his family since his departure from the club, and continue to be in contact. Our primary concern for Jonathan is his overall health and well-being.”
On Saturday, a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press the NFL Players Association planned to look into the matter in the coming week.
Martin, a second-year pro from Stanford, played in Miami’s loss at New England on Oct. 27 and was at the Dolphins‘ complex the next day before leaving the team. He missed Thursday night’s victory over Cincinnati.
Follow Steven Wine on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Steve_Wine
By John R. Bolton
The president fiddles at his domestic altar while the world burns
- PRUDEN: The scam that will not die
- Wasted: Tom Coburn's 'Wastebook targets 70 days in bed, Facebook
- Robert E. Lee and 'Stonewall' Jackson tributes face Army War College removal
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- Zadzooks: The Joker sixth scale figure review (Sideshow Collectibles)
- House seeks Fast and Furious gun-walking documents
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- Embassy Row: India strikes back over diplomat's arrest
- Domino's launches its first vegan pizza
- OBAMASCARE: Huge premium hikes rock employer-insured workers
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Television commentary, reviews, news and nonstop DVR catch-up by Lisa King Dolloff and friends.
Wall Street news for retail investors who want to know what's going on.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow