- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
8-year-old threatened with expulsion for soldier, ninja drawings
Question of the Day
An Arizona couple pulled their two children out of a Scottsdale elementary school last week after the headmaster threatened to expel their 8-year-old for drawing “highly disturbing” pictures of a soldier, a ninja and a “Star Wars” character.
Each of the drawings, meant to be possibilities for the boy’s Halloween costume, show the character holding either a gun or a knife, CBS 5 in Arizona reported.
“In this situation, it’s actually the principal of the school who bullied the parents — so much that we couldn’t even be safe in that environment,” the boy’s father, Jeff, told the station, which did not disclose the family’s last name.
“I think we really send our children the wrong message when we show that, as adults, we’re so afraid of our shadow that an innocent picture — that any 8-year-old might’ve drawn — is cause for this kind of concern,” he added.
The headmaster at Scottsdale Country Day School also reportedly took issue with the boy’s journal, which had a passage about escaping a killer zombie at a haunted school.
In some entries, the 8-year-old wrote about saving the world and wishing he had the ability to stop an atom bomb, CBS 5 reported.
Officials at the school would not comment on the situation, but according to the school’s online handbook, “drawings that depict weapons” are grounds for expulsion.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Doctor, 2 others shot at Pennsylvania hospital: reports
- Washington Post reporter, 2 other Americans detained in Iran
- Browns fan records himself urinating on grave of former Ravens owner Art Modell
- Alec Baldwin refuses to apologize for berating cops: 'I’d rather pay the fine'
- N.J. teen who sued parents granted restraining order against boyfriend
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Calif. dolls were meant to spread cheer, not chill
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq