- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
US Airways fined $1.2M for inadequate wheelchair access
Question of the Day
The agency said the airline was in violation of the Air Carrier Access Act during two instances at Philadelphia International Airport and Charlotte Douglas International Airport in 2011 and 2012.
Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said the fine was one of the largest penalties in a disability case.
“All air travelers deserve to be treated equally and with respect, and this includes persons in wheelchairs and other passengers with disabilities,” he said. “We will continue to make sure that airlines comply with our rules and treat their passengers fairly.”
US Airways said it has made “significant improvements” since the complaints cited in the agreement, according to spokesman Todd Lehmacher.
“We are investing $2 million per year in continuous enhancements to our technology, staffing and training,” he told USA Today. “This will build on the success of our recent improvements and ensure that our customers with disabilities have a positive travel experience on our airline.”
The Department of Transportation said the airline could use $500,000 of its fine to pay for disability access improvements.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Pro-Palestinian protesters stage 'die-in' outside Seattle Boeing offices
- Mass. superintendent fined for plagiarizing graduation speeches
- Islamic State opens 'marriage bureau' for single jihadists
- Diapered toddler crashes Jeep, runs home to watch cartoons
- Chicago-area cop kills dog in front of 6-year-old owner, witnesses say
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia's gay marriage ban
- Federal judge rules D.C. ban on handguns in public is unconstitutional
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq