- House passes VA reform compromise
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare is a battle in a larger war
Question of the Day
Obamacare is just a battle in a cultural war being waged in America: the war between the American value system and leftism. Lovers of America as an abstraction may be found on both sides, but it truly is a war for the real soul of our country. It’s not about policy or whether the individual mandate should be instituted; it’s about who we are as a people.
Our American values are deeply steeped in the precepts of the Bible and our Judeo-Christian traditions. Leftist values are based on the collective and statist values of Marxism. Line item by line item in all 2,500 pages, Obamacare attacks the American and biblical values we have held since our Founding. The Ten Commandments and American values tell us not to steal, but leftism steals the jewel in the American and biblical crown; namely, our freedom.
Leftism steals our freedom to create excellence in health care. It does this by stealing profit, the great moral part of capitalism that funds the excellence, bounty, innovation and efficiency of doctors, nurses and staff. Leftism replaces profit with the gargantuan payments we will now make for the inefficiency, waste and mediocrity of “health care workers.” Profit is why even the poorest American can get a top-quality MRI scan tomorrow with a smile — and why you wait six months in socialist Canada or England for the same test.
Leftism steals our freedom as citizens, doctors, nurses and hospital owners to act charitably. It does this by banning profit, draining our wealth with confiscatory taxation and borrowing and crushing us under regulation. It silences the voice of compassion that elevates us. Who needs or can think of charity when the state says it will take care of such things?
Leftism steals our property. It tells the collective that it has a right to medical care. It tells them they may knock on the door of the hospital and steal the intellectual property and goods and services owned by the doctor, nurse, technician, MRI engineer or janitor. It tells them nothing about obligations to pay for things they do not own. American and biblical values tell us we have the right to work for, and the obligation to pay for, things we do not own.
Finally, leftism steals the liberty of our children and grandchildren to live dignified, enriched and healthy lives. Leftism degrades and destroys everything it touches.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF