- Beer-flavored lollipops make debut: ‘An All-American slam-dunk’
- Gabby Giffords’ gun control push gets high-profile speaker: Bill Clinton
- Tony Blair to warn West: Take sides against radical Islam
- Pfc. Bradley Manning’s name change to Chelsea heads to court
- NYPD’s attempt at positive Twitter outreach campaign proves to be an epic fail
- Michigan man among first in U.S. to get ‘bionic eye’
- JetBlue pilots vote to unionize; 2 previous attempts failed
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with ‘full-time’ robots
- Navy’s military dolphins may meet Putin’s porpoises in Black Sea
- Forget the Porsche — it’s the guy with the Prius that attracts the ladies, poll shows
Pizza delivery drones? Investors bet Americans will come to love them
Forget the pizza delivery guy — investors are starting to bet on the pizza delivery drone.
In a recent report by Bloomberg News, venture capitalist Tim Draper notes that Americans who fear drones today might very well love them tomorrow if unmanned aerial vehicles begin fulfilling their commercial needs.
"Drones hold the promise of companies anticipating our every need and delivering without human involvement," Mr. Draper, 55, wrote in an e-mail to Bloomberg News. "Everything from pizza delivery to personal shopping can be handled by drones."
Investors have "poured" $40.9 million into drone startups in the first nine months of this year, and sales of civilian unmanned aerial vehicles is estimated to reach $8.2 billion within the decade, Bloomberg News reported. Stats like that are what drive venture capitalists like Mr. Draper to make pizza predictions with confidence.
"I see a bright future for non-military applications [for drones]," said Andy Wheeler, a partner at Google Ventures, also told Bloomberg News. If investors can navigate federal and state regulations, and ease consumers' privacy concerns, he might be right.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Navy's military dolphins may meet Putin's porpoises in Black Sea
- Brazil embraces drones to save the Amazon rain forest
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: 'I hope you die in prison'
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- Ministry of Truth: SCOTUS skeptical of law to police campaign 'lies'
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- HURT: President Obama's 'Selfie Doctrine'
- SOWELL: The high cost of liberalism, open spaces and affordable housing
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren: 'I'm not running for president'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.