- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
CMA’s mock of Obamacare sends Twitter into overdrive
Question of the Day
The 47th Annual Country Music Association Awards took a turn to the comedic Wednesday evening, as co-hosts Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood launched into a skit of Obamacare that sent the audience into loud laughter — and those of liberal ideology into furious and outraged rants on social media.
"Obamacare, what's that?" said Mr. Paisley, playing a patient with a hurt back, in need of a doctor, Fox News reported.
"Oh, it's great," Ms. Underwood said. "I started signing up last Thursday, and I'm almost done." She then invited Mr. Paisley to sign up for Obamacare and "join the six other people" who've already done so, Fox News said.
The duo then launched into a rendition of George Strait's "Amarillo by Morning," but with a slight switch of words: "Obamacare by morning, why's this taking so long? I'm going to end up with hemorrhoids, if I sit here 'til dawn."
Supporters of Obamacare weren't happy.
One Twitter poster wrote, The Blaze reported: "I think it's very disrespectful for the country award to make fun of obamacare! You didn't do jokes on anything that bush did!"
Another, in all capital letters: "These white folks on the CMA just slandered the [expletive] out of Obama & Obamacare."
Another: "[Expletive] off CMA obamacare is good wtf."
And yet one more, reported by The Blaze, again all in caps: "Why is the CMA's talking about Obamacare. Shut the [expletive] up."
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- John McCain laments: Obama's 'self-pity … is really kind of sad'
- Michele Bachmann 'There's a chance I could run' for president
- U.S. Navy admiral 'receptive' to giving Chinese counterpart a tour of carrier
- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
- Tennessee restaurant: 'Guns are Welcome' signs cause business to spike
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Man says he shot burglar who said she was pregnant
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq