Sen. Ted Cruz just brought forward a bill that would award $5 million to anyone who could provide information that leads to the capture of a suspect in the Benghazi, Libya, terrorist attack that left four Americans dead.
His rationale: It's been 14 months, and the families of the victims still have no idea what occurred Sept. 11, 2012, Fox News reported. And not one person has been held accountable for the tragedy — no arrests, no firings, no major announcements — even though five separate panels in the House have held hearings on the matter.
The New York Times reported that the Federal Bureau of Investigations has in September issued several indictments for suspects, but so far, the Libyan government has refused to grant agents access to search them out and arrest them.
Mr. Cruz's bill would mandate that the secretary of state provide the reward, as it has in other circumstances, Fox News said.
"The State Department's Rewards for Justice Program exists to help the U.S. identify and apprehend its enemies, but the Obama Administration has not used it to pursue the terrorists who attacked our personnel in Benghazi," Mr. Cruz said, in a written statement. "This legislation enables the Secretary of State to offer a substantial reward for information leading to the apprehension and prosecution of the suspects who have been identified."
The Justice Department's program has awarded a total of $125 million to 80-plus recipients since 1984, Mr. Cruz said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.