- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Female lion dies after giving birth at Maryland Zoo
Question of the Day
A lion at the Maryland Zoo has died, just days after giving birth to two healthy cubs, officials said Thursday.
Badu, a 3½-year-old lioness, died on Monday, a zoo spokeswoman said. The cause of death has not been determined, but a necropsy — or inspection of each organ — has been ordered.
“This is a tremendous loss for the Zoo, Maryland Zoo President Don Hutchinson said. “But despite losing Badu, we should also remember that she left behind two new additions to our zoo family.”
Badu gave birth to two cubs on Oct. 3. Veterinarians watching her noticed Friday she was having complications and operated on her. They removed another two cubs from but neither lived.
The two surviving cubs, one male and one female, are the first cubs to be born at the zoo. Officials said the zoo’s two adult lions, Cuma, and Hassan — the father of the two cubs — will be on exhibit while the newborns are raised by handlers in a den.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Higher Ground: War no deterrent
- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- Humanists hit the Hill to press for 'nontheistic' chaplains
- Humanist services lacking in the military, advocates tell Congress
- Humanists seek support from Congress on military chaplains
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Eugenie Bouchard pulls out of D.C.'s Citi Open
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq