- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
FIFA executive confident about World Cup security
Question of the Day
World Cup organizers said almost 6.2 million ticket requests had been made in the first phase of sales. Officials said 70 percent were from Brazil.
“There’s a wish for the world to attend this World Cup,” Valcke said.
He reiterated that he expected six stadiums being readied for the World Cup to be handed over to FIFA by a Dec. 31 deadline. Six other stadiums for the World Cup were used for the Confederations Cup and are ready to go.
He said a stadium being built in Curitiba in southern Brazil was under “permanent monitoring” by the organizing committee. He added that grass at the stadium in Brasilia had to be improved.
“The quality of the pitch in Brasilia is not what you are expecting,” Valcke said. “We have more than enough time to make sure the pitches will be good.”
Follow Stephen Wade at http://twitter.com/StephenWadeAP
Democrats reveal an identity crisis by pretending to be what they're not
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- TRACCI: Six steps to end the border crisis
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Obama seeks brisk passage of border children funding bill
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- Bush fixed bowling lanes that Obama wants to renovate
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- EDITORIAL: The faux farmer in the Senate race in Iowa
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs