- Air Force cadets ‘revolt’ after officials remove biblical verse from whiteboard
- Rep. Lee: Paul Ryan out of touch with urban Americans
- House votes down resolution to force Issa to apologize
- Kremlin blocks opposition websites; Kasparov fears Putin plans ‘something drastic’
- Saving trees? EPA wastes $1.5 million storing unneeded pamphlets in warehouse
- Scott Brown Senate bid in New Hampshire may launch soon
- Jeffrey Corzine, son of ex-N.J. governor, dead at 31
- Australian surfing magazine sorry for calling indigenous surfer ‘apeish’
- Records: Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- The Putin problem: U.S. needs Russian rockets for spy satellites
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Place shutdown blame where it’s due
President Obama told the world in a speech Tuesday that America has been weakened domestically and globally ("Obama cites harm to U.S. economy, prestige abroad from longer shutdown," Web, Oct. 8). This is true, but he caused the shutdown, so he owns it.
Mr. Obama is no leader. A leader comes to the table with ideas and works toward uniting the country. Instead, Mr. Obama has divided America right down the middle. The reason the government is shut down is because he has turned a deaf ear to the representatives of the people of one half of the country.
His spitefulness toward Americans can be seen by his closing down of monuments and parks, even those locations that have been privately funded. Can we honestly say he is a president of all the people? He is a president for leftists, a man who wants to punish people who don't agree with him. He and his cronies have called the opposition all kinds of names: jihadists, anarchists, terrorists, racists and the like. This kind of unbecoming rhetoric is unprecedented for a president of the United States.
The government shutdown has exposed Mr. Obama's unwillingness to negotiate, to accommodate the other half of the American population. A delay of Obamacare for one year is not the end of the world. Those in Congress who are holding the line on outrageous spending and the implementation of Obamacare should be commended, not rebuked. The Affordable Care Act (an oxymoron) is an unfair, unconstitutional law that will bankrupt the country. Stop blaming Congress, and put the blame where it belongs — on the president.
TWT Video Picks
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
Get Breaking Alerts
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Justice Department refuses info on hundreds of prosecutor misconduct cases
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
- CURL: Calm down, conservatives: Obama's 'Two Ferns' bit was brilliant
- PRUDEN: Sink sank own campaign in Florida special election
- EDITORIAL: Lois Lerner's dilemma
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: De Blasio doing disservice to 'underdog' students
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Anti-God humanism will ruin nation
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Issue impeachment, not a toothless bill
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Put proof behind 'Bush lied' assertion
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Wind power less harmful to wildlife