- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
Thompson takes 3-shot lead at LPGA Malaysia
KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA (AP) - Lexi Thompson shot a 5-under 66 Saturday to take a three-shot lead ahead of South Korea’s Ilhee Lee after the third round of the LPGA Malaysia.
The 18-year-old American had five birdies in her bogey-free round for a 17-under total of 196. Lee held the overnight lead but mixed three birdies with two bogeys for a 70. Suzann Pettersen was another three strokes back after a 67, tied for third with Shanshan Feng of China.
Thompson is aiming for her second career tour title and first since the Navistar LPGA Classic in 2011.
“I felt really well going into today, I had a good practice session before my round, so I was pretty confident,” Thompson said. “Every player wants to go into the final round with a lead.”
Pettersen has switched golf balls for this week and said she’s hitting it longer as a result, but she struggled with her putting all day.
“I’m playing pretty steady, hitting almost 18 greens, and not making a putt. It’s very hard to stay patient,” Pettersen said. “Four under is pretty much the worst score I could shoot. Just glad there is one more round tomorrow. Lexi is playing great, so there’s definitely a low one needed tomorrow.”
Sweden’s Anna Nordqvist had the best round of the day with a 65 to climb from joint 29th to a tie for fifth alongside Karine Icher of France at 204.
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.