- George Zimmerman signs autographs at Orlando gun show
- GOP lawmaker faces fire for NBA crime tweet
- Taliban vow to ‘use all force’ to disrupt Afghan elections
- Atheists sue to remove ‘Ground Zero Cross’ from 9/11 museum
- Bishop in Aleppo: ‘We Christians live in fear in Syria’
- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
ALCS Game 2: David Ortiz grand slam helps Red Sox stun Tigers
BOSTON — David Ortiz revived the Red Sox with a tying grand slam in the eighth inning, then Jarrod Saltalamacchia hit a winning single in the ninth as Boston stunned the Detroit Tigers 6-5 Sunday night to even the AL championship series at 1-all.
But with one swing, Big Papi flipped everything. Ortiz hit a two-out shot that sent right fielder Torii Hunter jack-knifing into the Boston bullpen in a futile attempt to catch the ball, making it 5-up.
Boston’s big comeback followed a dramatic New England Patriots‘ victory right down the road in which Tom Brady threw the game-winning touchdown pass with 5 seconds left to beat New Orleans. The score was greeted with cheers by Red Sox fans waiting for the baseball game to start.
The fans waited until the trainers verified that Hunter was OK to start chanting, “Papi!” and call the Red Sox slugger out of the dugout for a curtain call.
It was the first career postseason grand slam for Ortiz, a star of the 2004 playoff run that ended in Boston’s first World Series title in 86 years.
“When you consider down four runs, not a very likely scenario that you come back from that many runs that late in the game,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said.
Koji Uehara pitched a perfect ninth for the win. Rick Porcello took the loss.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- Arrest made in Ohio bar shooting that killed 3
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt 'Boss Hogg' town from map
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again