- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Bomb, shooting in Egypt kills 2 police officers
- Tenn. woman receives two-year sentence for stealing $364K meant for homeless veterans
- School bus driver gets probation after kicking autistic girl, 8
FENNO: Redskins’ special teams not so special
The days of much-maligned ex-special teams coach Danny Smith — remember him? — who took a job with the Steelers during the offseason seemed downright competitive compared to this.
Leaving struggling rookie returner Chris Thompson inactive Sunday didn’t help. Neither did sending veteran Josh Morgan back to return the first punts of his professional career.
All the shuffling added up to seven kickoff and punt returns by the Redskins for 46 measly yards.
“It’s such a different phase of football than offense and defense,” Kehl said. “It’s just such a hodgepodge. This guy’s there. This guy’s here. It’s a free for all, almost, and when something big like that happens it’s not as cut and dried. … It’s just wanting it more than the guy across from you. That’s probably what we’re lacking most is the effort part of it.”
Harris added a 90-yard kickoff return in the third quarter, sprung free as rookie David Amerson absorbed an enormous hit that forced him out of the game with a concussion. E.J. Biggers ran him down to save a touchdown, an admirable moment of hustle, then, later in the quarter, drew a flag for holding on a punt return that didn’t gain one yard.
That’s the story of the failed night that will turn into the story of the wobbling season if a solution isn’t found.
“We found the enemy. It’s us.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Declassified cables from Berlin Wall tell tale of drama, dare,
- Judge denies settlement motion in NFL concussion lawsuit
- Jay Gruden's long and winding road to Washington
- FENNO: Championship game provides an opportunity to listen to those who play
- FENNO: For Redskins, nonsensical is the new normal
Latest Blog Entries
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Justice Dept.'s new clemency guidelines: Crack offenders most obvious candidates
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- EDITORIAL: Voting with one's feet shows folly of liberal economic policies
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014