Continued from page 1

NASCAR fined MWR $300,000, suspended Norris indefinitely and replaced Truex in the Chase field with Newman, who was headed to the race win that would have given him the Chase berth before Bowyer’s spin.

In punishing MWR, NASCAR ruled that the only thing it could prove was that Norris intentionally called Vickers down pit road in the closing laps to adjust the finish.

NAPA, a longtime partner of Waltrip‘s, then said it was pulling its multimillion-dollar sponsorship of Truex’s team with two years remaining on its contract because it “believes in fair play and does not condone actions such as those that led to the penalties assessed by NASCAR.”

As part of the changes announced Monday, MWR said executive vice president of competition Scott Miller will continue as crew chief of the No. 55 team into the 2014 season. He’d been interim crew chief since Rodney Childers was taken off the pit stand in August when he said he was moving to Stewart-Haas Racing next season.

Kauffman, who had been in Europe during the Richmond race and remained there for the two races that followed, returned after Bowyer sponsor 5-Hour Energy said it would return to the team in 2014. Kauffman temporarily relocated to North Carolina and began a review of MWR, which set in motion the organizational changes announced Monday.

“If you lose a third of a third of your revenue, you are going to have to reorganize your business and that’s what we’ve done,” Kauffman said. “What we are trying to focus on is using this opportunity to not only survive, but use this reorganization to make us better. We made a mistake, we paid a heavy price and we are adjusting to a new reality.”