- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
MILLER: Biden’s Back! VP ends Camp David exile for shutdown deal-making
Joe Biden has been brought back early from his taxpayer-funded vacation at Camp David to participate in President Obama’s meeting Monday afternoon with congressional leaders over the government shutdown and debt ceiling limit.
In past budget fights like 2011, Mr. Biden has been a key negotiator since he has strong relationships on Capitol Hill from his many years as a Democratic senator from Delaware. This time, he has been so obviously MIA that Sen. John McCain, Arizona Republican, said on CBS on Sunday that, “We need to get Joe Biden out of the witness protection program.”
Mr. Biden, who wants to run for president in 2016, is either not interested in the crisis in Washington or so unhelpful he disappeared to Camp David for the three-day Columbus Day break with no official events on his schedule.
Under criticism, the vice president’s schedule suddenly changed on Monday with his reappearance for the bicameral, bipartisan 3 p.m. meeting.
While Mr. Obama and congressional leaders battled it out over spending and Obamacare, Mr. Biden’s last public event was a meeting on Thursday with Finance Minister Yair Lapid of Israel on topics such as the economy of Israel and negotiations with the Palestinians.
While veterans are blocked from visiting the open-air World War II Memorial because of the budgeting decision by the White House, Mr. Biden and his family have had no such constraints. The chi-chi Camp David compound is primarily run by the Navy and Marine Corps, so it has remained open during the two weeks that civilian federal employees have been furloughed.
While chilling at Camp David, the Biden family could have chosen from leisure activities like bowling, swimming, golfing and skeet shooting — which the president claims to do “all the time” when he’s there.
If Mr. Biden wants to take over the Oval Office in 2016, he should have a vital role in negotiating the size and scope of the federal government in the budget battles.
At the very least, the vice president should show some restraint in exploiting taxpayer resources at time when others cannot. Even Mr. Obama has enough public relations savvy to skip his standing golf games for the two weekends since the shutdown began.
Emily Miller is a senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times and author of “Emily Gets Her Gun” (Regnery, 2013).
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times. She is the author of “Emily Gets Her Gun … But Obama Wants to Take Yours” (Regnery 2013). Miller won the 2012 Clark Mollenhoff Award for Investigative Reporting from the Institute on Political Journalism.
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek tax investigation follows D.C. conviction for muzzleloader bullet ammunition
- MILLER: Harry Reid's hypocrisy on 'Equal Pay Day': No women on top leadership staff
- MILLER: Maryland bathroom bill for transgenders is part of LGBT lobby for sex-change rights
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek surrenders to D.C. police 'Gun Offenders Registry'
- MILLER: Michelle Obama has media blackout in China while touting freedom of press
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Probe Boston teen's medical, custody case
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support a modern-day Tiananmen protest
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: An honorable president would resign
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable