- Country singer Tim McGraw not sorry for slapping female fan: ‘Things happen’
- Iraq vet cited for owning 14 therapeutic pet ducks
- White House takes credit for drop in unaccompanied children at border
- International crises be damned, Obama’s fundraising trip must go on
- Friend of bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev found guilty of impeding probe
- Train with MH17 plane crash bodies leaves rebel town in Ukraine
- Half of Colorado voters are OK with Hobby Lobby decision, poll shows
- HIV-killing condom to soon hit shelves in Australia
- Estonia pulls plug on Steven Seagal over praise for Putin
- Lawyer: Pelvic exam pics cost Hopkins $190 million
Sherman, Revis make lock-down CBs an NFL must-have
Question of the Day
Darrell Green is not impressed.
The Hall of Famer looks around today’s NFL and sees a lack of talent at his old job.
“When it is most needed, in my opinion, the cornerback position is probably producing at its lowest level,” Green said. “Guys like myself and Deion Sanders and Mike Haynes _ this is the time when we would be saying, `Yes! This is great! We want you to pass.’”
Seattle’s Richard Sherman, Tampa Bay’s Darrelle Revis and Denver’s Champ Bailey think that way, too, making lock-down cornerbacks must-haves nowadays. With quarterbacks flinging the football around like never before, those back-end guys get more chances to flourish or fail. They define their teams’ Ds.
Still, as Green points out, special ones are rare. Check the numbers: Through Week 6, QBs averaged a passer rating of 81 when targeting players covered by cornerbacks, higher than any season since at least 1995, according to STATS.
“This generation, they’re behind the 8-ball, because these offenses and quarterbacks are incredible,” said Green, who played for the Washington Redskins from 1983-2002. “Better cornerbacks would make defenses better.”
Thanks to rules changes and offensive innovation, games are averaging 45.90 points in 2013, which would be the second-most in NFL history (the record is 46.48 in 1948). Games are averaging about 710 total net yards and slightly more than 490 yards passing, both on pace to break marks set in 2012. The 289 touchdown passes are the most through Week 6, an average of 3.14 per game that would be the highest in the Super Bowl era.
“If you keep getting that passing game going more and more, you’re going to keep seeing how important it is to have good corners,” Bailey said.
“I would say now you’ve got to have more than one,” he said, “and that’s the hard part.”
Seattle pairs the 6-foot-3 Sherman with 6-foot-4 Brandon Browner.
“If you don’t have good corners, it can be a long day,” Sherman said, “regardless of what you’re doing on offense or how your front seven is playing.”
Used to be wideouts got a ton of attention: Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Chad Ochocinco.
Now it’s the diva DBs.
Sherman, for one, is “a vociferous guy,” as his college teammate at Stanford, Colts quarterback Andrew Luck, put it. Sherman isn’t shy about telling the world just how good he is _ he engaged Revis in a Twitter spat over who’s better _ and the entire NFL notices what he says and how well he defends.
“The kid from Seattle’s got a big mouth,” Jets coach Rex Ryan said in a bit of takes-one-to-know-one commentary from a top defensive mind, “but he can play, you know?”
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- Edward Snowden to work with Russia on anti-spy technology
- Rihanna, Dwight Howard delete #FreePalestine tweets
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- Driver who killed teen on bike sues family for $1.3 million
- Bill Maher blames Hamas for Gaza violence: 'Do you really expect the Israelis not to retaliate?'
- HUMPHRIES: 'Hes the Worst President in 70 Years'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq