- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
World Cup qualifying: England, Spain, Russia punch tickets to Brazil
Question of the Day
After clinching last week, Germany rallied for a 5-3 win at Sweden as Andre Schuerrle had a second-half hat trick following goals by Mesut Ozil and Mario Goetze.
Later Tuesday, Ecuador, Chile and Uruguay competed for South America’s final two automatic berths, with Uruguay and Venezuala having a chance to finish fifth — which earns a playoff against Jordan.
In North and Central America and the Caribbean, Honduras was three points ahead of Mexico for the region’s last automatic berth, and Mexico was three points ahead of Panama for fourth playoff and a playoff against Oceania champion New Zealand. The U.S., which clinched last month, was at Panama, while Mexico was at Costa Rica, and Honduras at Jamaica.
In the African playoffs, Ghana routed Bob Bradley’s Egypt national team 6-1 in the first leg of the home-and-home, total-goals series. The second leg is scheduled for Nov. 18 in Cairo.
Bradley was hired by Egypt in September 2011, 15 months after Ghana beat Bradley’s U.S. team 2-1 in the second round of the World Cup. The Pharaohs, ranked 50th, have not qualified for the World Cup since 1990.
The 24th-ranked Black Stars have eliminated the U.S. in two straight World Cups and were knocked out by Uruguay on penalty kicks in the 2010 quarterfinals.
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Inside the Beltway: Republican posse rides out to fire Harry Reid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq