- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
British doctors warned not to call the obese ‘obese’
Don’t call the outrageously fat “obese,” doctors in Britain have been told. Why? The label could damage their self-esteem, the country’s health watchdog said in newly released policy papers.
The guidance comes as realization dawns that an estimate 41 percent of men and 33 percent of women in England are overweight, and a quarter of them outright obese, by standard medical definitions, The Telegraph reported.
Just don’t tell them that.
Be “respectful and non-blaming” to “minimize harm,” the country’s Center for Public Health advised in new policy guidelines for doctors treating those who are fat. Also in the policy papers: Recommend them to “lifestyle weight management,” rather than fat farms, and shy from using “derogatory” terms such as “obese.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- U.S. tasks Navy destroyer to Black Sea amid Ukraine tensions
- Teen on deathbed awakens as family sings hymns
- Staples shuttering 225 stores by mid-2015
- Rutgers professors to Condi Rice: Go home, and take your speech with you
- Ohio kid, 10, suspended for forming finger like gun
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Christine O'Donnell eager to re-engage in political debate
- Obama slaps Putin with sanctions, restrictions on visas
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: Bush to blame for Ukraine
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- House defeats Democrats' attempt to rebuke Issa
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again