- Sen. Claire McCaskill to tackle sex assault at college next
- Judge’s order preserves NSA surveillance records
- Refurbished Pollock masterpiece goes on display
- Iditarod becomes mad dash for Nome
- ‘Burger King baby’ now seeks birth mom on Facebook
- Study: 2 percent of Americans have new hips, knees
- Friend: Pistorius shot gun out car without warning
- States wrestle with developing, restricting drones
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- Ukraine’s Crimea seeks to become independent state
Chris Matthews on tea party: ‘Do they still count blacks as three-fifths?’
Joining a panel on MSNBC’s “Now” with Alex Wagner, Chris Matthews questioned the use of the phrase, “We the American People,” by tea party conservatives, asking if “they still count blacks as three-fifths” of a vote.
Adding that he was pleased with President Obama’s speech Thursday morning, Mr. Matthews said, “It’s not about values. It’s not about philosophy or partisanship, they are all good — they’re how we run our country.
“It’s tactics and respect,” he said. “And what the right — the small part of the Republican Party, maybe a third of it — was willing to do was show no respect for who’s president, for the voters who elected him.”
“They have this weird ‘we’ they refer to: ‘We the American people,’” Mr. Matthews continued. “Why does a group that always loses elections, or tends to do lately, why do they call themselves the American people? Do they still count blacks as three-fifths? Three-fifths of a vote?”
“There’s this ‘we’ I’m very worried about,” he concluded. “Like we’re more American than the rest. We should get a higher weighting to who ‘we’ are? I think it’s dangerous, and it goes with the birther stuff and all the rest of it.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for 'outside' cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to 'man up' in horse carriage fight
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- Michigan man posts Facebook photo of gun he used to rob bank: report
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CPAC 2014: Despite Ben Carson's speech, gay marriage mostly took a back seat at CPAC
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt 'Boss Hogg' town from map
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again