- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
Inside the Beltway: The grim aftermath of the shutdown
Question of the Day
Finger waggling and earnest talk: It’s time for Republican soul-searching and a GOP gut check, say observers who found little nobility in the extended effort by some conservative Republican lawmakers to defund the Affordable Care Act at all costs. There’s a price to pay, warns Grover Norquist, founder of Americans for Tax Reform, and it starts in 2014.
“A lot of congressmen and senators are not going to win because we spent three months chasing our own tail — or at least, parts of the conservative movement spent three months chasing their own tail,” said Mr. Norquist, whose finger waggling did not, however, include finger pointing.
“I think if you make a mistake as big as what they did, you owe your fellow senators and congressmen a big apology — and your constituents, as well, because nothing they did advanced the cause of repealing or dismantling Obamacare,” added Mr. Norquist on Thursday, without naming names.
And there’s lots of advice.
“We have to have an agenda, we just can’t be against what’s in front of Washington, D.C. Much of what goes on in Washington is completely irrelevant to the lives of everyday people. I mean it’s just amazing,” Jeb Bush told MSNBC.
THE DETERMINED AFTERMATH
They’re not done yet in a post-shutdown, post-debt ceiling world.
“It’s clear that the leaders of both political parties would rather play games and cut backroom deals than do what is right,” states the Tea Party Patriots in a message to some 3,000 member groups around the nation.
“We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again: We are on our own. We have to build an even stronger independent tea party movement today if we want future generations of Americans to have any chance at prosperity tomorrow.
“We have to strike back now.”
“Over 200,000 people have applied to live on Mars as part of an ambitious proposal by private foundation Mars One to establish a human settlement on the Red Planet by 2023,” reports Charles Black, a reporter with SEN, the Space Exploration Network.
“So it looks like more people have applied to live on Mars than have signed up for Obamacare so far,” responds Glenn Reynolds, the “Instapundit” for PJ Media.
REPUBLICAN BLAME MACHINE
In the past two weeks, some 20 million people tuned in to the “big three” broadcast networks to witness the bombastic political theater that accompanied the federal debt-ceiling debate and government shutdown. And what did they discover on ABC, CBS and NBC? Oh-h-h. Republicans bad. Republicans to blame for everything.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Inside the Beltway: 'Guns Save Lives Day'
- Inside the Beltway: Conservatives ponder next 'character assassin'
- Inside the Beltway: Americans think U.S. global prestige is fading, Pew poll shows
- Inside the Beltway: Stringent advice from a reporter to Obama on Term 2
- Inside the Beltway: Obamacare team lauds 'private sector velocity' of website repairs
Latest Blog Entries
- Americans just say yes: members of Congress should be subject to random drug testing
- 70 percent of Americans say U.S. has lost world respect; 80 percent of GOP, 56 percent of Democrats agree
- For the gift givers arsenal: politically incorrect guides that praise America
- 70 percent of Americans fear another government shutdown in January when the money runs out
- Are you the parent of a girl? Then you're likely a conservative Republican study says
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- EDITORIAL: Our ideological president
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- MILLER: Obamacare enrollees include 101 members of the House of Representatives
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Red Alert focuses on the hottest political topics in the nation and calls Americans to action.
History doesn't have to be grim; there is a lot to be learned from the pages of time.
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
White House pets gone wild!