- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
- In Colorado, a pot holiday tries to go mainstream
- Ukraine PM vows to find ‘bastards’ behind anti-Semitic fliers
‘I’m tired of being who I am’: Texas student kills himself in front of classmates
A 16-year-old Texas high school student shot himself in front of his classmates during their lunch hour on Tuesday, shortly after posting a suicide letter on Facebook, school officials said.
A student witness at Lanier High School in Austin told the Statesman newspaper that Adrian Alvarez was sitting alone in a courtyard when he pulled a handgun from his hoodie and fired the weapon, Fox News Latino reported.
“We are saddened by this tragic loss,” said Tiffany Young, a spokeswoman for the Austin Independent School District. “Our thoughts are with the family.”
Hours before his death, Adrian posted a suicide letter on Facebook.
“I’m taking my life away…because of I’m tired of being who I am,” he said. “I have given my mom a lot of trouble and pain and I just want to say I’m sorry.”
He asked his friends to look after his young son and the child’s mother, as well as his own mother. He also posted a picture of himself holding a semiautomatic pistol to his face, the Daily Mail reported.
His mother, Maria Consuelo Alcantara, told a local news station that her son called her from school Tuesday afternoon asking to leave early and she said no.
“I love you, Mom,” were the last words he said to her, she said.
Students went to class Wednesday dressed in black and carrying black balloons.
Officials declined to comment on the gun involved in the shooting, including where it came from and how it was able to make its way on campus, Fox News Latino reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- General Mills apologizes for 'right to sue' confusion, reverses policy
- Ukraine PM vows to find 'bastards' behind anti-Semitic fliers
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.