- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Sean Taylor murder trial: Jury selected, opening statements set for Monday
MIAMI -- A jury of 12, plus four alternates, has been selected in Miami for the trial of the alleged shooter in the 2007 killing of Washington Redskins star safety Sean Taylor.
Jury selection finished Friday, and opening statements are scheduled to begin Monday morning. Being tried on a first-degree murder charge is 23-year-old Eric Rivera Jr. He faces life in prison because he was only 17 at the time of the slaying.
Prosecutors say Taylor was fatally shot during a botched robbery at his home. They say Rivera and four others from the Fort Myers area thought Taylor would be playing a Redskins game, but he was home with an injury.
One of the others has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and burglary charges. The others will go on trial later.
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.