- Atheists’ Easter taunt to Christians: ‘Jesus is a myth’
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels Kansas City show
- Josh Romney swipes Harry Reid with photo tweet of dad paying taxes — ‘your paycheck’
- Despite Obamacare problems, some Dems want Sebelius to run for Senate: report
- Angry New Yorkers shred gun registrations in deadline day protests
- Uninsured rate dropping faster in places that embraced pillars of Obamacare, survey shows
- Hawaii, D.C. give residents two more weeks to sign up under Obamacare
- Climate change causing fish to lose their minds, researchers say
- Great Britain tops World’s Most Sexist Nation list
- Aaron Hernandez investigated for threatening to kill prison guard
Bill Young dies at 82; Fla. Republican had served 43 years in Congress
A statement from the Young family on the congressman’s page said that the cause of death was “complications related to a chronic injury.” The statement also noted that Mr. Young passed away “in the company of his family.”
Several members of Congress, including Speaker of the House John Boehner, took to social media to express sadness at the loss of a colleague.
“The House has lost another dear friend,” Mr. Boehner wrote Friday night on Twitter. “We’ll miss Bill Young, as will countless others blessed by his life & service.”
In a statement, President Obama praised Mr. Young’s career of service to his constituents — and to the nation as a whole.
“For over 50 years, Bill served the people of Florida, in the state legislature and as the longest-serving Republican in the U.S. House of Representatives,” the president said. “He will be remembered for his advocacy and support for the armed forces, service members, and their families as well as his statesmanship and long history of working across the aisle to keep our country moving forward.”
Information on services for Mr. Young was not available Friday night.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jacqueline Klimas covers Capitol Hill for The Washington Times. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- American Legion shoots down idea to tie immigration to military service
- Child's play? E-cigarettes marketed to youngsters, report finds
- Sebelius resignation not political, adviser says
- Dem strategist: 'We'll be OK' if Hillary Clinton doesn't run
- Rangel: GOP budget vote just a political stunt
Latest Blog Entries
- Miss. GOP chair: Huckabee distracting from GOP's reasonable pro-life stance
- Commerce Secretary 'optimistic' about U.S.'s economic standing worldwide
- Less than half of registered voters would re-elect their congressman, poll finds
- Half of registered voters in Va. would re-elect Sen. Mark Warner
- 2013 was second most polarizing year of Obama's presidency
TWT Video Picks
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Al Qaeda mocks U.S. in 'extraordinary' Yemen gathering; experts fear CIA caught flat-footed
Ford Mustang through the years
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.