- Number-crunchers put GOP chances of retaking Senate at 60 percent: report
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals
- Fla. voters’ support for medical marijuana bodes well for ballot measure: poll
- Keith Urban concert ends in ‘nutso’ chaos, with dozens arrested, injured
- Very religious still lean toward GOP, reflecting long-term patterns, Gallup poll shows
- Fist bump becoming all the rage for germ-wary handshakers
- Tennessee storms ravage counties, wreck 10 homes
- Chinese police tear down church cross in religion crackdown
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: ‘Obama, Obama, where are you?’
- Maine police find wife, husband, 3 children dead in home
Some lawmakers rush to give up salaries to show solidarity
Question of the Day
Sen. Mark R. Warner, Virginia Democrat, is contributing his salary to the Federal Employee Education and Assistance Fund, a nonprofit organization devoted to helping civilian federal and postal employees.
Rep. K. Michael Conaway, Texas Republican, plans to send his pay to the Treasury, while Rep. Bill Johnson, Ohio Republican, is opting for a charity.
“I refuse to profit from the stupidity and muleheaded culture of modern-day Washington, D.C.,” Mr. Johnson said.
The stalemate also has opened up Congress to criticism from elected leaders in the states, including Virginia Attorney General Kenneth T. Cuccinelli II, the GOP gubernatorial candidate who is calling on lawmakers to decline their pay during the shutdown.
“Only in Washington would members of Congress be rewarded for shutting down the government with their full paycheck,” he said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- GOP 2014: Republican governors cite their economic stewardship
- Perdue, Nunn square off in race for Georgia's open Senate seat
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- Alison Lundergan Grimes hits Mitch McConnell over jobs
- Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff locked in dead heat
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
- '50 Shades' movie trailer outrages anti-porn groups
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq