- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
Steny Hoyer: Dems would vote for CR and debt ceiling together
House Democrats would vote for a short-term continuing resolution that also raises the debt ceiling, averting a crisis where America could default on its debt later this month.
“That would be a responsible way to go,” Minority Whip Steny Hoyer, Maryland Democrat, said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.” It would give confidence to the marketplace and give confidence to those overseas.”
The government would run out of money as soon as Oct. 17 if Congress does not raise the debt ceiling.
He responded to criticism by Republicans that the president has been giving campaign-style speeches rather than sitting down at the negotiation table to find a solution. Mr. Hoyer said that President Obama has been negotiating over recent months, but that it’s “very tough to negotiate with people who won’t negotiate.”
He did not, however, place all the blame on Speaker of the House John Boehner, Ohio Republican.
“I think John Boehner is willing to negotiate. What he doesn’t have is the support of his caucus, and that’s unfortunate,” Mr. Hoyer said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jacqueline Klimas covers Capitol Hill for The Washington Times. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ministry of Truth: SCOTUS skeptical of law to police campaign 'lies'
- Veterans push to test marijuana as a life-saving treatment for crippling PTSD
- Three lawmakers finish Boston Marathon
- Rep. Kyrsten Sinema to run in Boston Marathon to honor bombing victims
- Building a D.C. memorial for an endless war bumps into regulations
Latest Blog Entries
- Miss. GOP chair: Huckabee distracting from GOP's reasonable pro-life stance
- Commerce Secretary 'optimistic' about U.S.'s economic standing worldwide
- Less than half of registered voters would re-elect their congressman, poll finds
- Half of registered voters in Va. would re-elect Sen. Mark Warner
- 2013 was second most polarizing year of Obama's presidency
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Professor apologizes after blasting Republicans in class
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014